Monday, October 3, 2011

Junk in the Trunk?




Growing up I always knew that I was a bit more "endowed in the rear" than my fellow smaller framed females. I was never considered skinny, willowy or petite. I was bigger, taller, and more athletic than all the girls (and boys) in my class through 8th grade. I hated it all through elementery school, high school, and years following. I tried covering it in skirt sizes way too big making sure not to hug an inch (my parents must've been proud) and spent countless hours at the gym crying to the trainers "JUST TELL ME WHAT I CAN DO TO GET RID OF IT". You see for some, including my former self, a big butt or curves as we consider it now, resonates with extra fat in the behind. It went hand in hand with considering yourself a fat a**. To some it was considered being curvy or bubbly, to me it was hell- and I wanted it gone. But no matter what I did, it never went away.

Over the years, my "curves" have defined me as a woman and as a mother. It's something I'm proud of, and Ive learned to defend. I wasnt fat, I was healthy and athletic. I was curvy, voluptuous and till this day would not trade my big hips or rear end for anything in the world. It may not be ideal to other standards of a female body, but its my perfect body. I'm a woman and a mother. My hips carried me through pregnancies and child birth. I've learned to love them, work em, and be proud of them. Thanks to the help of the J.Lo's, Beyonces, Rihannas and Christina Hendricks of the world its now more appreciated and accepted than ever. Whether you've got it or you dont- and this post is all about loving and embracing whatever body form you were given- its important to develop a stronger lower body. Many people think squats and lunges on the legs will make them bigger than they already are- but its not the case. Dont use heavy weights- you can get a killer leg workout with no weights at all. 
One of my favorite glutes exercise (a fancy word for saying butt) is the pelvic lift. Lie on your back on a mat, knees bent and hands by your side. If you're more advanced you can put a weight on your pelvic bone (between 10 and 20 lbs). Squeeze your glutes and lift your butt high off the floor. Thats one rep- go as long as you can- then rest. Do this 3 times. If you want to challange yourself, leave one leg on the floor and lift one leg at a time. Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment