Monday, October 18, 2010

The trainer that hates the gym..



If you own or manage a gym, dont read this. I've worked out at a gym since age 18, and have trained at a gym for months. I am not a fan of the gym. I understand if the gym is part of your daily routine but for many reasons I've opted out of the gym band wagon and joined an all natural way of working out- machine free! I have my many reasons- too many for blog..but I'll give you my biggies..

I cant go all out at the gym...I'm not sure about you, but when I'm working out I'm ugly, sweating, making faces and will occasionally scream or grunt. Can't do that at the gym (well you could with the eyes of other members staring you down-been there done that)

It started becoming a social thing..."going to the gym" meant an activity.I'd go with a friend..hop on a machine- hate the machine- enjoy just talking to the friend..sit on those "free muscle machines" (talk about that later) and just chat chat chat. It meant if friend didnt go, I didnt go...

I was more focused on how I looked than what I was doing..just being honest here!!

It can be intimidating...before I became certified or knew anything about fitness I always felt that gym goers and especially trainers were staring at me thinking "she doesnt know what the hell she's doing"..and then I'd always get the sales pitch from the trainers, "Hear let me show you the proper way to do that, if you want I could schedule you in for a consultation and you could walk away spending 500 dollars on 6 personal training sessions..NO THANK U- I DONT REALLY WANT TO BE TALKING TO YOU RIGHT NOW LET ALONE BE HERE! (ok thats a little extreme)
 
My main reason for opting out and even discouraging clients to join is simply because it puts the idea in your head that if you cant get to the gym you cannot work out. You become used to the gym being your "workout zone" and without it you feel incapable of moving your body. You can completely tranform your body with as little as a pair of weights and a mat on the floor. You dont need equipment, machines, steps, boxes, ropes, etc..yes- they help..and once you've got basics down you can easily incorporate anything you want into your workouts...but the idea that you need these gadgets to workout is bogus. Dont get sucked into that- use what you have..You have no idea the things you could do at home- outside..anywhere!

All in all, we all have our reasons. Point blank- your workouts should not dependant on anything..if you have two arms and two feet you're a perfect candidate right here right now. End of story.

Today's food was usual breakfast
apples, nuts, carrots and chumus for lunch
brown rice, turkey and veggies for dinner..

Today's workout was mentioned in previous post...my arms are sore...

No comments:

Post a Comment