Friday, October 29, 2010

Pass the lettuce please

Busy Busy day..finally a moment to breathe- just got Sarah down for a nap. We're sleep training her (again- about the 4th time) and its been a rough couple of nights.

I'm finished with clients for the week- this morning I worked out with 2 clients and then met a friend for a run in this dirt path. She tells me she found this amazing one hour run with insane hills- ups and downs- the first 30 min is torture and then it gets easier...Ok, I try it. Not only try it- I brought Sarah in her stroller. I was dying, sweating, it was hot and dry outside, but I couldnt stop. I'm too competitive- and if she's running- I'm running. So thanks for that my feet are shaking..

I came across this great article the other day. It talks about America's obsession with Fad Diets. Interesting how we live in a country where 2/3 are overweight and 1/3 are obese- yet so many Americans fall in this Fad Diet trap. Why? Simple- a quick fix. We think that in 3 days we can turn over years of bad eating, bad choices, poor exercise and voila' 3 days later we will turn into a hot skinny goddess. Really now? Let's get real. This article goes deeper into the topic but here a few thoughts I found interesting..

"Eric Oliver, associate professor in political science at the University of Chicago, reports that American values consider being overweight a sign of laziness and being thin a mark of higher social status. He argues that millions of Americans are putting their health at risk with fad diets, dangerous drugs, or extreme surgeries like gastric-bypass."

It’s not news that fad diets are unsuccessful over the long term. Time and time again, studies show that people who yo-yo diet are more likely to gain more weight after their diet is over than if they didn’t diet at all.

With trends like the low-carb craze of the 1970s, the low-fat diet of the 1980s, the Weight Watchers and Slim Fast popularity of the 1990s, the Cookie Diet, Quick Trim (endorsed by the infamous Kardashian sisters), and the Master Cleanse today, Americans’ diet preference changes with the decade.

“Most individuals want cutting-edge solutions for weight loss, and fad diets offer, at least on the surface, ‘new’ ways to beat the boring mathematical reality of long-term weight loss,” noted Robin Steagall, nutrition communications manager for the Calorie Control Council. 

Education is key to overturning Americans’ obsession with quick-fix diets.

I'll post soon my Success Story with some really ugly before photos..but point is- Fad Diets will get you no where. I have done them many times, and yes they're fun once you've reached your goal weight to try and look your best for an event- but as a solution to weight loss struggles- its not the answer. Its a quick fix that'lll turn around and bite you in the a$$.

Shabbat Shalom Folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment