Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Push it Up!

This morning workout was running 30 min- and a mixture of push ups, jump squats, burpees, lunges- I've been working a lot lately so my energy was quite low- I took all the things I love to hate and shoved them all into one workout! Much better!

If you've ever worked out with me before (and dont you think its time you do) you know that I'm all about The Push Up! I had a conversation with someone the other day and she tells me I need to stop acting like a man- I'm a woman and should internalize that. But when it comes to Push Ups- you better believe the "man" in me is boasting!

The Push up works your chest muscles primarily. Yet- your triceps and shoulder act as secondary muscles so you're getting a 3 for 1 here. There are so many great varieties- and its one of those exercises I love cuz you work it, feel it and see it instantaneously.

For beginners, start modified on your knees.

 Your arms should be parallel to your shoulders- palms pressing onto the floor. Its very important to have a flat back and focus on using full upper body stregnth. Lower yourself down to the floor slowly bringing your chest to touch the floor and slowly press yourself up.
With these, the slower you do them,the harder they are. Its a lot more beneficial to do 5 slow ones than 30 fast ones. When you do them quick you use momentum, not stregnth..so take it slow and controlled.

For more advanced- go military.

 Get on your toes, palms on the floor, slowly with controlled movement lower your chest down to the floor and press yourself up. Again- SLOW!

Now, once you've mastered either type- there are so many variations..

Do em off the ball



Off a bench




Against a bench





Holding weights





Come into a T-stand after each Push up (side plank)




Also- tighten your abs when doing whichever type of Push Up you do. Gives you a great ab workout as well!! So get pushing woman!

No comments:

Post a Comment