Monday, December 13, 2010

My worst weight gain culprit..


I personally feel that of all the reasons we gain weight- mindless eating is the biggest culprit. We generally have our ups and downs- occasional binges- splurges- even the all weekend food fests that leave us depressed and nautious for days..but beyond that is something we dont even realize we're doing- can happen any day any time- and we continue on as if nothing happened. I'll give you an example. Over the Holiday, we hosted a party at our house for friends. Naturally, the table was filled with all different types of foods-nuts-chips-veggies-popcorn-etc..snacky foods- my favorite! We were all sitting around the table talking, laughing, playing games,  and of course just popping whatever was next to us in our mouth. Now, thankfully the bowl of grapes was next to me..but after a couple minutes of talking and playing- I look down and notice the entire bowl of grapes are empty. How on earth did this happen??? We were invited to another party where I had a bowl of nuts in front of me- same exact scenario- but this time nuts are dangerously high in calories!! Then lastly- we were at event and there was a bowl of chocolate covered pretzels on the table- I saw them- decided to taste one but vowed I'd stop at one..put the bowl back..got into a conversation with someone sitting next to me- and left the table staring at 2 empty bowls.  I find that this happens a lot to me- but it was brought to life over the Holiday where it happened over and over again. We dont realize what we're doing- were talking- distracted- having a good time until we literally consume thousands of empty calories when weve already eaten breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It's one thing to realize what were doing..see the cake, want the cake, debate back and forth, make deals with ourself, walk towards it, walk back, breathe in, contemplate- we give in- we eat the cake...so good..so gosh darn good..a few minutes later- we regret it- or we dont..but a lot of our thoughts were focused on that piece of cake. Now imagine- double those calories being consumed and not even realizing you're doing it! It's a dangerous path so I've thought of a few things I will try next time and I'll say them outloud!

1.) Gum- always have it on me..if I'm chewing on gum I wont wanna take it out to chew on something else..
2.) Water Bottle- sometime I just need to put something in my mouth- so water should do it..ya right but its worth a try
3.) Sit near the veggies- if you finish a tray of carrots its a lot better than finishing a tray a cookies!
4.) Wear lip-gloss
5.) Make a hot cup of coffee or tea
6.) Go for a run before the event..Ive done that a few times..you just exercised so why screw it up on the cookies anyways..

Food diary of today was usual breakfast, black bean salad with chicken and veggies for lunch with sugar free muffin, walnuts- raisins and grapes for snack- dinner is pending..have some turkey burgers in the oven--will have that with some grilled veggies and sweet potatoes..

Today's workout was 2 runs with 2 clients...totaled about an hour and change- and about 15 minutes of abs..

No comments:

Post a Comment